Unity & Variety

     This week I had a break from everything regarding school and drawing. I have spent it with my boyfriend.



That's why I haven't posted something new. But this post is not about that. Is a post about unity and variety. And I got this from Stephen Silver course at Schoolism. Schoolism is a great tool for artists, even beginners or professionals. I have backed their Kickstarter, and I got a spot for the course. So,expect me to speak about everything a little, because at school we have a new teacher, Nial Laverty  He came from Dublin, to talk about inbetweening and other good stuff in animation world. Now he is doing more illustrations. Look forward to see what the week will bring.
But today I want to post a digital work from Schoolism assignment, first lesson. It was a very inspiring lesson workflow. Stephen Silver is not just a great artist, he is also a great talker. When he speaks you just believe you can do everything, and nothing seems impossible)

    Is good to start by defining what you want from your character. I know that it should be a cowgirl, regarding the assignment, but after I decide how old is she. what are her characteristics, is she nice or mean, introvert or extrovert. I also can do a research and decide what i want her to wear. It's a good thing to seek for reference in magazines, internet, real life etc. We have a lot of great tools to get inspired from. After defining the characters' features, I have gone in to sketching. I have had a specific idea in mind, that's why I have two finished drawings of the character.The last one, is the one I had in mind from the beginning. Is not too good to stick to one idea. I have tried to sketch some variety of shapes, still I think I could explore more, but I haven't posted everything from my research.
In the schoolism course for Advanced CD, you could find some advices of how to make your design appealing and not boring. Teacher speaks about Golden rule, how to avoid the ladder in the design and how important is Unity & Variety. If you want more about it, you can surely go and buy a subscription, is cheap now:)


Character research


 Leonel


 Betsy
      I really enjoy my final result. I wanted to make it really sweet and cute, so I used the most appealing thing, which are the eyes. They're big and shiny. Also I wanted to add with that ballerina dress that she is not that kind of usual girls or cowgirls. Betsy is really bright, she knows how to create her simple environment in to an adventure. She is annoying sometimes, because she is very energetic and always needs attention when somebody is near her, especially grown ups.
 
     The best part of the course was the inspiring talks of the teacher. Stephen Silver really knows how to raise that good mood of "never giving up". And I would like to share some of his notes:
"Unity and Variety"
"The whole is more than the sum of parts"
"Experiment - try everything from everything". At this point he ment, that everytime you see a new texture, use it; If you have seen a strange, interesting object, incorporate it in a character or illustration; world is a great place to find inspiration, you just have to want to see it and make it.
"There is no falling down, is falling forward"
"Set your goals, write them on paper and hang them on your mirror"
" Do not procrastinate" Don't wait somebody to kick your butt. Nobody will do something for you... I either don't know if it feels rewarding if somebody is doing your job for you.
And of course
"Have FUN" 
doing everythink you like to do.



canDIES:

Comments

Popular Posts