Run Away

     I am running a little away with time. That's why I'm posting today what I could post a month ago, but I haven't had this idea with a blog, for keeping my archives, before. I realised it's  a great tool just a week or two ago.

     I will start a little with the latest, because I have some friends who would like to apply to University and they need some guidance. So I will post some material which I consider useful for them and for me as well.
     We spend a week with Sarah Airriess on Drawing for animation, and we have one week more with her on finishing our scenes (I will come back to this in another post). Sarah is a very nice artist, she has a very strong background in 2D traditional animation, thanks to years of experience and hard work. I would like to share her blog here. You will find a lot of good stuff and of course her showreel, TWIRLYNOODLE. Sarah have taught me things wich  I haven't understand before, or I understand but haven't obsserved. The last lesson we have spoke about line of action and how its' fluctuation brings changes in the whole body, or object.
     This drawings, some of them editted by our teacher, shows how line of action has alliates which are working together with the line of action. This alliates are marked with a red line (in the Duffy Ducks' pose). The blue ones are the lines describing the reaction of action on the parts of the body which are lighter, or the one which are hanging without own force. Like example are clothes, fat, hair etc.
Squash and strech are used not just in animating, but as well in the every drawing apart. Variations of squash and stretch give a very dynamic silhouette and appeal to the pose, it makes it more believable.

EXAMPLES:
     I will also share some examples of portfolios from my classmates, also from Character Animation.
http://aylendoesart.tumblr.com/  I recommend her blog because of simplicity, she's not trying to exalt her portfolio with finished drawings. She's showing her ability to work with line of action and she is sensible in body proportions.
http://skmidt.blogspot.dk/p/drama.html I really want to show this one. I think is related a lot to one of my friend Oleg. This guy, David is good in gesture, he make them read clearly. I think his power is in making extremes. Remember that extremes are more important in the body language than in facial expresions.
http://elisabethjanerka.blogspot.dk/p/movement.html  Elisabeth portfolio is full in movement. Her life drawings are a good example. I think it's simple and nice.
http://ducthinhtaw.tumblr.com/  This is the eyecandy.

TIPS:
     In order to improove gesture drawing and line of action, I recommend watching videos with sport, theater, fun-shows, animals and nature, even watch animation in slow motion or frame by frame (I will add a link where you can step by frame a video from youtube). Of course is much better going outside and draw, or gathering a group of people and posing for each other... but, sometimes you don't have that mood of going somethere. Your option is internet or magazines, or read a book and start imagining you acting as one of the character (I like doing that).
* If you have applied before, don't use the same material you have shown the last time you applied. 

CANDIES:
(you really can die from them)

http://rowvid.com/  This is a cool site, here you can watch frame by frame every video from youtube. Thanks goes to Neil. Don't try writting RAWvid instead of ROWvid. Have you tried? Haha on you!

http://www.clipconverter.cc/  Great tool for downloading videos from Youtube (for study purpose).

http://sevencamels.blogspot.dk/  A great site. I think is very important following others thoughts. It is awesome when people have time writting post for others, for no exchange, just for pleasure.

Comments

Popular Posts