Some parkour

     Hello! The Maya week where we had to animate Parkour was something strange. It required lots of patience but it gave a whole new view on Maya and the tools I can use to help me fasten the process.

     First of all our teacher Magnus Moller has an animation company based in Denmark, called Tumblehead www.tumblehead.com. He was a sort of a different teacher from the one we had before, a little bit more strict, sometimes messy because he wanted to teach us a lot of things. We had 2 weeks for this assignment, and I really enjoyed the 2nd one. It feels strange when one course can piss you off and make you love it at the same time. Doing parkour was one of the things and understanding body mechanics was very related, and it sounds mechanical, but actually I thought it was an elegant process. Keeping an eye on the line of action and how it flows from a pose to another made me feel good. I really hope to be able and use this techniques in an acting shot.
     Our first process before going to Maya was to make a TVPaint stick figure animation where we study live action and use it wisely, not copy it. It was very handy to start pushing real movement and make it stylized.
     This is the result of this course assignment, I have to twick a little bit here and there for my school show-reel but I think the result makes me feel good :)


     I am very happy lo learn Maya actually. I think I would really like animating professionally in 3D, but in 2D too of course. It is important for me to know tools, because they all have the same root and understanding which is animation. Of course it looks differently when you work and the process is slightly different, but the result should be the same. The illusion of life and believability are the things which matter.

     I would like to share some CANDIes my teacher shared during  this course.

TweenMachine - is a Maya tool which helps with inbetweening
FlipOnline - plenty of good stuff regarding 3D animation, but I'm sure is as good for 2D.
Spungella - a blog about animation which gathers demo-reels and other information from studios and artists.

Comments

Popular Posts